Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Tacos Tonight

This is likely a repeat of the post, "The Best Tacos You Will Ever Eat."  Houseguests this week, one of  them a vegetarian, and we try to accommodate everyone, so last night I made two skillets of fried rice, one with leftover roast pork, one without.  The vegetarian ate a whole serving bowl of the stuff, so I guess it tasted good.  Tonight is tacos, with the filling in two skillets--one with peppers, onion and black beans, the other with grilled steak, peppers, onions and black beans.  Seasonings, too, of course. 


I found some $1.25 dishes at Ocean State Job Lot that have three dividers.  Bought two of them.  I always serve grated cheddar, diced tomatoes, shredded lettuce, avocado, sour cream, scallions, and cilantro to sprinkle on the tacos.  Also hot sauce.  These are primo.  And so not break the bank.  The only thing we have to get at the store is the avocado and the jalapeno.  Of course, I always use good corn tortillas, with the taste of Mexico, not gringo flour tortillas, the devil's spawn IMHO.  


I find much to weep about at places like the Chipotle, and Quedoba, (think I have mispelled) who only seem to have flour torillas or the pre-made crispy corn tortillas from a box.  This is the worse Californication of Mexican food, a downright abomination.  With fat and sugar and no fibre, whereas corn tortillas have  no fat, no sugar and plenty of fiber.  Nutritionally superior and the have, gasp, flavor!!!!  End of rant.  

My aunt always said, "it takes all kinds of people to make a world."  She was from Iowa, and worked on Boeing bombers during the war, a real Rosie the Riveter.  

I cook everything in iron skillets.  Good for the biceps, too.  

Hasta la vista, baby!   







No comments: