Friday, March 6, 2009

Use What's On Hand


Do you have ingredients on hand leftover from your Christmas baking? You do bake for the winter holidays, don't you? I will be really upset if you buy store bought cookies loaded with everything but flavor. Get thee behind me, transfats.


I was in a mood for dessert last week, and we didn't have any cookies. Thought I might bake some, but I told myself I couldn't go to the store. Thumbing through the cook books, and guess what I found? Chocolate pecan pie?!


Zowsa! I had everything or I could do an easy no-brainer substitution. It was soooo good. And we were good, too. We sliced it into ten slices and had 5 days worth of desserts. At no cost. The chocolate and pecans were still on hand from Christmas. It was rich; it was delicious and the price was right. If you have butter, sugar and flour on hand, you can always make shortbread. A few nuts or raisins or dried cranberries and your options expand.


So: stay away from store-bought and bake cookies or pies. Life will be good.

No comments: