Monday, September 20, 2010

Chicken With Forty Cloves of Garlic revisted

The sweet garlicy sauce was totally to die for.  Yum!  Although the chicken was small, we  kept enough for a second meal.  I served it with onions roasted in olive oil and fresh thyme from the garden, and cooked up the other half of cabbage I had used earlier for some slaw.  I put some bacon fat in the cabbage along with more thyme!  All the dishes had a hint (just a hint) of thyme, the unifying presence.  
recipe

I can't tell you how much fresh herbs from the garden will spice up (!) your meals. 
We also had two more small helpings from the pear tart.  All I will have to cook tonight are some mashed potatoes out of the box (we like Hungry Jack, which I find sometimes at the Ocean State Job Lot), and  some baby carrots to supplement the left over cabbage.  We gobbled down the roasted onions.  Another super-cheap side dish, along with the cabbage.  
Eating well does not HAVE to depend on spending a lot.  Be creative.  Oh boy, was that garlic sauce good.  I used the last bit of a bottle of white wine and made my own chicken stock out of the back and neck.  To repeat:  be creative. 


Speaking of which, crepes stuffed with whatever can be a delicious, elegant meal at little cost.  I will post my recipe soon.  Remind me if I forget.  You will, won't you? 

I found  a pasta recipe for Italian sausage and chicken thighs, both always on sale around these parts. 
Do not neglect your fruits and veggies.  Delicious squash (we're partial to acorn) will be on sale in the stores soon.  It keeps if cold, so stock up.  


The Cheeseparer







No comments: