Sunday, March 7, 2010

Yakisoba from the New York Times

For the frugal lifestyle, serving 4 with 2 porkchops rates pretty high.    The other good thing about this recipe is that is calls for both cabbage and carrots, so not only are the colors pretty, but we all get our veggies.  And it tastes super, with just the right amount of spiciness. 


Here is the recipe: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/03/dining/03mini.html?scp=1&sq=japanese%20+%20chinese%20noodles&st=cse

I bought fresh noodles, but the dried would likely be much cheaper.   Pork chops were on sale.   Learn ways to compound your savings.



We are it for two nights.  I sauteed some fresh spinach in garlic and ginger for the second night.  Pineapples were on special, and we       bought one, which is providing  food for several meals.  Tonight we ate it with fresh orange.  Oh yes!  

Think I'll make some chili this week.  We didn't have any all winter.  I did make a lot of soups, thought, and lots of ethnic meals.  I have part of a roast that too small to really be a roast but I'll bet if I cut it into small dice it would make some kickass chili.  We have dried ancho peppers in the house and also guallilo (?).  Kidney beans, tomatoes, onions.  What's not to like?  I always make Southern cornbread with chili.  No flour, no sugar, just pure southern cooking.  So good


Bon Appetit! 


The Cheeseparer


                 

No comments: