Saturday, April 24, 2010

Cookies Galore

I like to bake cookies occasionally.  In order that we don't gobble them up immediately, I freeze them in batches, and then when we  are in a cookie mood (when aren't we?)  I take a package out of the freezer and voila!


When I'm feeling particularly cheap, like now, when property taxes are due next month,  I look for a recipe for which I already have all the ingredients, and today, that recipe is Ina Garten's (the Barefoot Contessa) Oatmeal cookies.  Actually, I didn't have enough pecans, so I am substituting walnuts.


We're driving to New York on Tuesday, and as usual, we're packing a lunch for en route.     We like to stop in Old Saybrook (a bunch of good restaurants and a cool picnic area down by the water), and we'll have roast chicken sandwiches, a small amount of potato chips, grape tomatoes, Coke and water and Oatmeal Raisin Cookies.  We always feel terribly smug knowing our lunch is way better than fast food and every bit as good as an $8.00 sandwich with drinks and cookie extra.    We also save time by not waiting for service.


I must confess that on the way home from a quick, unplanned trip to New York,  we stopped in New Haven for lunch.  The place we wanted to eat was closed at 4:00 p.m. in spite of what the guide book said, so we wandered across the street to an Argentine place.  New Haven was celebrating "restaurant week" and we had a totally fabulous three course lunch (we needed no dinner) for a song.  It would be hard to say what menu item was tastier, but we were so taken that we'll stop next time we go thru New Haven on I-95 in a state of hunger.  The restaurant is Pacifico.  Try it if you're in the area and into ethnic.   
Pacifico 


Now for that  cookie recipe


If you are at home but having a busy day, this is my cookie procedure:
1)  First pass:read the recipe and get out all the ingredients and put them together on the counter.
2)  Second pass:  measure and "prep" all ingredients
3)   Third pass:  make the dough and refrigerate if you need to 
4)  Fourth pass:  bake the cookies


Cool and divide all but a couple day's eating and freeze.  

No comments: