Monday, December 12, 2011

Free Food!

I once had a colleague who stated that the most beautiful words in our language were "free food."  And all the time I had been thinking those words were "cellar door."  


Whatever. We  had an  almost free meal tonight, and it's called turkey soup.  It only takes a few minutes to remove the last scraps of meat from a turkey carcass.  I froze it for later and later arrived.  I also saved the turkey fat and have been using it in my chili and various other dishes.  Almost like schmaltz, it was delicious. 
I used old scallions, an odd shallot, and some chopped onion.  Carrots leftover from last weekend.  A celery stalk purchased today.  Some baby bella mushrooms from Whole Foods.  They left you buy however many you need, not a whole box.  I cut up a small tomato and added that with some old cilantro and plenty of herbs and spices:  thyme,  oregano and paprika.  Some dried chives.  Added to cans of chicken broth, which were part of a BOGO  (buy one, get one).  I speak retail.  Salt and pepper, of course.  I cooked some small macaroni and added it when the soup was done.  This was good stuff.  Dinner for two (with seconds) and lunch for two.  Guilt free.  Lots of veggies.   I tossed in a couple of the "on the stem" Brussels sprouts from Trader Joes.  You  dare not use too many or it will taste like Brussels Sprouts soup.  '
We ate it with a salad of red leaf lettuce topped with  yellow cherry tomatoes and some "campari" tomatoes.  Both were on sale.  Good whole grain baguette. 
I am baking Christmas cookies and make some shortbread topped with mixed cocktail nuts.  You can't believe how easy this is and how fast.  I'll try to find the recipe.  Of course the nuts were on sale, too. Mixed Nut Shortbread- fast, easy and good

I saved $36. at the supermarket today. How much did you save? 

No comments: