Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Chicken Chausseur

Hadn't been to the grocery store in ages.  Getting hair done (finally) late this afternoon, so better get something cooked or ready to cook.  Freezer only offers bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts, a BOGO (buy one get one).  I have a voluminous file of recipes, and would you believe the chicken is divided into:
1)  rotisserie chicken
2)  boneless breaks
3)  Bone in breasts
4)  roasting recipes
 5)  recipes calling for a whole chicken


I dig out the bone-in breast recipes.   Find Chicken Chausser which calls for mushrooms which I have (none too fresh) and canned tomatoes.  Also calls for a shallot, but I can substitute a couple scallions and a garlic clove.  I don't have any broth but have a boullion cube and a little aspic from 2 former rotisserie chickens.  


I get started and the smell is pretty good.  Skin doesn't look too great so I remove most of that.  Brown chicken, mushrooms, add brandy, etc.  Decide to try the package of spaetzle from Ocean State Job Lot.  


A mere scrap of lettuce in the fridge, but there are a couple organic carrots, 1/3 of an English cuke, 5  big grape tomatoes, and said lettuce.  I add dill, oregano, basil and  a bit of mint and toss.  Looks and smells good.  Nice colors. 


The chicken sauce is a little salty, but the spaetzle needs salt, so that works out good.  Chicken very tasty, salad good, spaetzle a nice change.   We eat it for a late lunch instead of dinner.  


In the pantry there was oil, brandy and the substitutes for the shallot.  I always keep canned tomatoes around.  The salad was delicious, by the way.   It was damned near soup from a nail.  


 Breast halves were big enough for a second meal, and I have some ideas for the other package of breasts.  Even without skin, the breasts browned up  nicely. 


BTW, I have found the true secret to dieting.  You can eat absolutely anything you want.  Just eat less.  I've dropped 7 pounds with NO HUNGER.  Small helpings and no seconds except on fruits and veggies.  Fruit salad rocks in the summer, and todays salad of leftovers was a winner.  

The Chicken Chasseur recipe was from an old Cooks Illustrated magazine.  Anything calling for wine And brandy is bound to be pleasing to the tongue.


The Cheeseparer

No comments: