Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Chili Mac: a great one-skillet casserole

During the holiday rush, when shopping, wrapping, cards, and lots of baking harry us, it's nice to have a go to dish for dinner that's fast, economical and doesn't dirty every dish in the kitchen.  May I offer up Chili Mac?

My recipe is from (I think) the Boston Globe and is attributed to Keri Fisher.  Thanks, Keri, we needed this.
Keri Fisher recipes

The recipe serves 4, but we ate and ate last night and there's still more than enough for a second meal.  I just  found the recipe on the web. Chili Mac Recipe

I followed the recipe except I had diced fire-roasted tomatoes.  Noticed the cans are now (grrrr!) 14.5 ounces instead of a pound, so I added a few cherry tomatoes, chopped.  I always buy good quality ground beef from the butcher counter.  Used ancho chili powder, and the Mexican cheese blend.  It was so cheesy we didn't need extra,  Serve with a nice salad.  Ours was mesclun with cherry tomatoes and cukes and some feta cheese sprinkled thereon.

The recipe is not too spicy for kids, but not too bland for adults.  We really relished it.  Yum! 

No comments: