Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Swiss Steak in an Iron Skillet and other delights

Swiss Steak chez Cheeseparer



My mom used to make something called Swiss steak.  All I remember is that she pounded round steak, browned it after dipping the steak in flour, and did something with onion and tomato and simmered the whole business for a while.  Served it with mashed potatoes and a salad.

As a bride, I tinkered with the recipe a bit, first browning the onions (one large) and removing them from the skillet (note cast iron--ugly but so cook for serious cooking).  Brown round steak, floured, pounded, and seasoned (lots of salt and black pepper) in  fat.  I usually use canola oil and a bit of butter, but all oil is  all right.  When the meat is browned, smother it in the sauteed onions, sprinkle with dried marjoram, and pour an 8 oz. can of tomato sauce over the whole business.  Cover and simmer until tender.

Eat and enjoy.  Don't know if I've ever seen a recipe for Swiss steak.  Round steak is fairly lean (cut off extra fat) and fairly cheap, and has a good beefy flavor.  Oh, I usually saute a garlic clove or two with the onion.  A green vegetable like broccoli, beans, or even Brussels sprouts goes well.

Did your Mom make this, too?  

Old Time Swiss Steak


This is very close to my mom's recipe.  Enjoy!



No comments: