Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Minestrone with Sausage

A few weeks ago our supermarket had a special on Italian sausage. It was $1.00 per pound or some ridiculously cheap price so I tossed a pound into the shopping cart and then into the freezer.

This week, being the end of the month and the money running out, I thumbed through my soup recipes to see what looked good. Keep in mind it's been cold and rainy here in New England, so hearty soup in June is not as weird as one might think.

I found a recipe from Penzeys spices catalog, Minestrone with Italian Sausage. The only things I had to buy were a can of tomatoes and a zucchini. Pare that cheese.

Listen, the soup was fab and I made my food processor bread, because you need to float a loan to buy good bread and this recipe makes two loaves. I used the new oven stone and it came out really well.

We have the remainder of last night's blueberry tart for dessert. Blueberries on sale, and again, too cheap to spring for the Pillsbury crust, so I made my own from the food processor cookbook and was it good! The tart looked and tasted scrumptious. Blueberries on sale this week, natch.

What more can I say? You don't need a lot of money to eat well. We had a salad of spinach from the garden, artichoke hearts from Ocean State Job Lot, and an on-sale tomato. Home made dressing again.

Yeah, I've had to spend some time in the kitchen, but the results have been spectacular. This is not fancy cuisine, just food. But it's tasty and mostly healthy.

By the way, what happened to rhubarb? Our store doesn't carry it this year, and the (young) clerk at another supermarket did not know what it was. She charged us the wrong price, too.

Have you noticed your groceries have not been, like properly bagged for years? The baggers are careful not to put the heavy food on the squashable food, but they load up our bags with two big bottles of cranberry juice, a half gallon milk and a half gallon of o.j. in one bag. I just about get a hernia taking it out of the trunk of the car. Even the manager does it. We said something once and got a VERY dirty look.

I would wring my hands and ask what are things coming to, but I have chores before the Red Sox game. Got to run.

the Cheeseparer
W

No comments: