Saturday, September 12, 2009

I dreamt I went to Moscow with my cast iron skillet

Dreams are just incredibly weird. A few nights ago, I dreamt I was to take a bus to Moscow. I arrived at the bus stop carrying my big (heavy) 12-inch cast iron skillet. But no pocketbook, as we say in New England. I ran home to get my pocketbook, but instead, mysteriously arrived at the bus stop with my small non-stick skillet. The bus looked like a two-car MBTA trolley, and the first car was crammed to the gills with a bunch of standees, but the second car was half-empty.

I guessed the standees were friends who wanted to stay together. I ran home again to get my pocketbook, and that was the end of the dream.

A cast iron skillet will last your lifetime and the lifetime of your kids and their kids. It is one of the best investments you'll ever make. Sometimes you can find them at tag sales or swap meets. A cast-iron dutch oven isn't bad either.

Nothing fries a chicken or makes corn bread as good as a cast iron skillet. Once you get it seasoned, you're in business, and never heed the twaddle about not washing it with detergent, blah-blah-blah. I use soap in mine all the time and it never needs reseasoning. It also doubles as a wok and can withstand high heat.

The heaviness of the skillet works your arms, never a bad thing.

No wonder I was taking mine to Moscow. Sears used to sell them, maybe still does, as do hardware stores. The iron that leaches out of the skillet is also good for you.

A frugal find!

The Cheeseparer

No comments: