Saturday, September 12, 2009

I Love BOGOS

Buy one, get one! That's the long way of saying, BOGO!

Today Roche Brothers had a BOGO on beef roasts. I got two, and cut one in half before I froze it. We'll cook one (indirect heat) on the grill sometime this fall. It will easily feed four or maybe more if we don't make pigs of ourselves. Served with lots of grilled vegetables, it's really tasty.

The other roast, the free one, if you will, I cut in half. I'll make bouef bourgignon with one half and goulash soup with the other. That should provide 8 servings. So if we figure 14 servings for $13.00, that ain't bad. And for lean, good quality protein. Plus unlike tofu, it actually tastes good. Have you ever noticed that tofu doesn't really taste like much of anything. You have to just season the hell out of whatever you're making. Szechwan peppercorns do well. Beef only needs salt and pepper, but the wine stew and the goulash soup will be loaded with flavor and veggies and the heartiness that we usually omit for summer main dishes.

I'm making a "diet" chicken pot pie this week, and I'll let you know how it turns out. The "Pie" part is potatoes mashed with low-fat Greek yogurt. The remainder is chicken breast and veggies and sauce. It came from either Gourmet or Bon Appetit, so you know that it's good. Well, we hope.

Onward. We're going to a neighborhood barbeque this evening, and the fare will not be diet. Yum! Licking my chops already.

The cheeseparer

No comments: