Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Don't Cry Over Sour Milk---Make Waffles

This morning the milk was sour, and I quickly changed dinner plans to use the rest for waffles.  A combo of milk and orange juice and some orange rind will go into the waffles.  I make the waffles with low-fat Bisquick.  Can't tell the difference and I am such a picky person.


I serve the waffles with orange sauce.  When I'm in a hurry, the sauce is made with mandarin oranges, but tonight I'll make it from scratch.  I have a blood orange with the peel partly gone and some clementines.  Use what you have and save. 


Here is the sauce recipe. It's also good on pancakes and French toast. 


Orange Sauce: 

1 Tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 cup sugar (or a little less)
1/4 t. salt 
1 cup orange juice
2 teaspoons of grated orange rind
2 tablespoons butter
1 orange, sectioned


Sour Cream or cottage cheese. 


Combine cornstarch, sugar and salt in saucepan.  Blend in orange juice gradually; add orange rind.  
Cook over medium heat until mixture comes to  boil, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat and add butter and orange secions; heat. 
Serve over hot crisp waffles spread with sour cream or cottage cheese.  

A slice or two of crisp bacon would not be amiss.  Great for Sunday Supper. 


This recipe is from (I think) the Chicago Tribune in days of yore.  I made it right away, and the kids liked it too, always a plus.  When I served it to my parents, my  mother announced in a big huff, "I am not putting cottage cheese on waffles!"  Hey ma, don't knock it t'il you've tried it!  Talk about a generation gap. 

Last week's chocolate pecan pie.  No, the crust isn't burnt, it's chocolate.
You can basically clone the recipe and use strawberries, blueberries or (Yum!!) a combo.  Sometimes you cook with the food you have.  Or make pancakes.  It usually works out well. 

Call me The Cheeseparer









No comments: