Friday, March 4, 2011

Kielbasa BOGO

Kielbasa BOGO!  Does that sound like the name of a rock band or what?  For readers who never worked in the retail industry, a BOGO is a "Buy One Get One," also known as a "two-fer."  Roche Brothers, the supermarket where I shop, sometimes has a BOGO on Kielbasa.  We like the lighter turkey Kielbasa because it is less greasy and lower in calories.  Now, don't get me wrong.  I love ribs, fried chicken, heavy cream, etc., but when you have a chance to cut some calories and not lose any flavor, go for it! 

I make a middle Europe dish, (so homey, so comforting) with the Kielbasa.  I take 1-2 pounds of sauerkraut and rinse it (get rid of some of the salt).   Saute an onion, diced, a carrot, also diced in oil/fat of your choice until tender.  At a small portion of chopped tomato,  1/2 of  an apple, diced, the sauerkraut, the kielbasa,  (one pound, cut in half), some dry white wine, a little chicken broth, some caraway seeds, paprika (regular or smoked).  Cook as long as you can, adding more liquid if necessary.  If you are feeling carefree, saute a couple slices of chopped bacon to get your fat and cook the bacon with the kraut.   

Serve with mashed or boiled potatoes and a green salad.  This would make an excellent slow cooker dish.  I don't have a slow cooker, but maybe you do.  The sauerkraut becomes mild and savory and the concoction is actually rather mellow.  Add a clove or two of garlic if you like.  Improvisation is good.            

This will serve 4 if you aren't piggy.  Make the salad big.  There should be enough sauce in the kraut to nap the potatoes.  This is tasty and cheap.  My shabby little secret.  I use Hungry Jack mashed potatoes.  I know.  I know.  The more cream you put into them, the better they taste, but I try to stifle this impulse.  

The Cheeseparer    
 

No comments: