Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Can Rotisserie Chicken Ever Be A Bargain?

You bet it can!  I bought one $6.99 for the breast meat to make sandwiches to eat on the ferry from New London to Orient Point.  Of course, two people would have never been able to buy a (decent) lunch for $6 .99.  I ate one lunch from the chicken (wings) before we left.  Two yummy sandwiches on whole grain bread with butter, lettuce and tomato.  Chips from the bag at home, a clementine and two slices of orange yogurt bread.  Water to drink  The best lunch!  3 meals so far. . . .


I had removed the remainder of the chicken from the bones and froze it.  After we returned, I thawed the chicken for. . .  ta da!!  Enchiladas verdes.  The supermarket had tomatillos!  They almost never, here in this part of New England, have tomatillos.  Made them from scratch, a labor of love, but all I had to buy was the tomatillos and a couple small (all they had) jalapenos.  Everything else was on hand, even the corn tortillas.  The recipe made two casseroles.  4 servings.  I ate another lunch from the thawed legs.   There were two enchiladas left and we ate them for lunch yesterday.  Add 'em up.  10 servings of good quality protein for $6.99.  How frugal is that?  And every meal yummy.  You can make some of the enchiladas just with the cheese for a vegetarian  child or guest.


Both the Globe and the Times have been emphasizing vegetarian selections in their food sections, but nothing sounds that great.  Maybe because I am not a huge fan of unrelieved starch.  Potato curry?  Not so intriguing.  Give me chicken, shrimp or even fish curry.  Curried chick peas are good.   I would eat curried potatoes as a side dish. 


Some days the supermarket has rotisserie chickens on sale for 5  bucks.  That would be 50 cents per serving.  Yowza! 

Here is a recipe similar to the one I used:  Food and Wine Mag Enchiladas Verdes  


We served them with avocado salad and refried beans (on sale for $1.00,) and extra cheese, sour cream, chopped tomatoes, scallions and cilantro on the side.  I had some Farmer's cheese in the freezer which I crumbled over the casserole.  Cheddar always works.  Did I mention the tomatoes and avocados were on sale?  Shop smart, shop well.  Experiment! 


Bon Appetit! 

No comments: