Sunday, May 1, 2011

Dolores Greshaw's Rhubarb Bread

We were in New York on Long Island last week, and the rhubarb was up and thriving in my friend's garden.  It is expensive in the stores, but maybe you, too, have a friend or some plants or can find it at a farmer's market. 


I like to use it in a compote of red fruits.  Yesterday I mixed it with cranberries and blueberries from the freezer.  Add sugar to taste, a bit of liquid (I used water and orange juice) a grating of orange rind, and simmer until the fruits are cooked.  We like it with a dollop of whipped cream.  This works well with any red berry, and especially currants.  Use your imagination. 


With the rest of the rhubarb, I made Dolores Greshaw's Rhubarb bread which is an old recipe I got from the Boston Globe, maybe even the Chicago Tribune.  My guess is the Globe.  I couldn't find the Greshaw recipe on the web, but here is one with the exact ingredients.  I think it makes a slightly larger loaf.  


Rhubarb Bread  


Enjoy!  Tonight I'm making Enchiladas Verdes.  The grocery had tomatillos on sale yesterday.  I had part of a roasted chicken in the freezer and some cheese and tortillas, so this is a cheap dinner for two nights.  I'll  let you know the outcome.    Enchiladas Verdes are one of my favorite Mexican foods.  Refried beans were also on sale, a dollar per can, such a deal.  Eating cheap  doesn't mean eating poorly.   Avocados were also on sale for a buck.  Ole!  


The Cheeseparer

No comments: