Monday, June 11, 2012

Naan Takes the Cake

Home Made Naan
I made a spicy red lentil soup yesterday, and decided to try some home made naan bread.  Food processor needs parts, so I couldn't make the recipe I had picked out earlier.  Another recipe made 14 helpings and called for more flour than I had in the house.  Found this recipe on the food network: Naan Indian Flat Bread


I made it with poppy seeds, but next time (and there will be a next time) I'll do the garlic naan.  Pretty simple and the dough was not that difficult to work with.  Only one rising.  Also found a non-yeast recipe.  I didn't have any plain yogurt, so I substituted 1/2 sour cream, 1/2 low-fat buttermilk, and that seemed to work.  Tasted great.  You do need a cast iron skillet and make it on top of the stove.  No hot oven on a hot day. 


The lentils were red ones from Whole Foods.  Our supermarket only has the plain brown.  No French, no red.  
I served a salad and we were so full we didn't need dessert.    Enough of everything left for tonight, which is my writing group night, so I have to leave the house early. 


We're having soup week this week, always good for the loss of a couple pounds.  Also lost two during salad week two weeks ago.   I will post the soups later.  The lentil one is so old it may not be on the web.  Just the right amount of spice. You are basically making  your own curry powder.  


If you're eating on the cheap, paring that cheese, in other words, ethnic food rocks.  


Berries have been on sale and we've had good fruit salads, and they are soooo good on my morning Cherrios.  We try to eat whole grain cereal without much sugar.    Shredded wheat is the best and I have a coupon.                                                                    

No comments: