Friday, July 30, 2010

Soup From a Nail

I always loved the children's story about soup made from a nail.  We aren't quite THAT frugal, but we do buy the Select Harvest soups, either at Ocean State Job Lot or at Walmart.  They taste good, have minimal processing and are lower in sodium than many canned soups.  We have 
discovered that one can makes lunch for two. 


This week we had the Mexican chicken soup.  I added fresh spinach and cherry tomatoes and we ate it garnished with avocado and Mexican cheese, all ingredients from the pantry.  It was so good.  One day I made a chiffonade from a leftover corn tortilla and added that.  I had so many extra ingredients that I added a little chicken broth.  So tasty.  

Fresh Atlantic Salmon was on sale at one of the local markets, and I splurged and bought a pound.  We'll cook it on the grill, Thai style with green beans and corn, both fresh and on sale.  There's a peach pie (from scratch, even the crust) in the oven.  It looked to die for. 


No matter how cheeseparing you are, do take advantage of summer's produce.  Our green beans and cherry tomatoes are providing tasty bites from the garden, along with all the fresh herbs.  I made some quick Fajitas using a small frozen petite sirloin, a few frozen shrimp, a past prime green pepper and some onion.  I made a nice marinade with fresh garlic (from the garden) and heated up some corn tortillas from my economy package of fifty.  We used "found" ingredients, i.e. no trip to the store required.  I like to do this.  The larder is bare, but not quite, and what can you cook that's nourishing and tasty?  

You'd be surprised.  Go ye forth and scrounge from the pantry.  Remember:  potatoes fried with bacon, onion, tomatoes and eggs make a delicious dinner.  Scatter some fresh chives or a bit of grated cheese over the top.  Scallions?  Yup. 


I am so excited about my garlic harvest, that I'm planning to make Chicken with Forty Cloves of Garlic.  Yum!  What are you harvesting this summer? 


The Cheeseparer











No comments: